Sunday 11 November 2007

Sunday services and afternoon strolls

Wow - what a day! today we went to Pastor Bongas church (did I do it right Jez??) and had a great time in the service. I did puppets with Julia - a new recruit for the team - yippee! And we taught them Allelui allelui Praise ye the Lord with them all jumping up and down in their seats. It was very amusing! One amusing part of the serice was when a chicken was brought forward for the offering - and duly despatched to the chicken graveyard ready for lunch. A true representation of where we were and of what the people have to offer. Some folk just offered empty hands to God when they had nothing else to give.
Then we went to Bonifaces church for lunch which was right in the centre of a village. The villagers cooked for us and we were served a banquet - it was very humbling to have them serve us with bottles of coke and Fanta and provide so much food from their limited resources. It was a relief to then see all the villagers come to the church after we had eaten to eat the vast amount that was left. We talked with the villagers and then travelled back to the Base, all very quiet and reflective. Everyone is very tired today . We went for an amazing walk around Beira too. Right down to the beach through a shanty town, around the port, past shops, houses - you name it, we saw it tonight. all the sights and smells of the town. an amazing experience and one I will treasure.
The tiredness is taking its toll on us girls - we are gettting very giggly at the most simple of things. At last nights prayer meeting on the beach I was in stitches when Vicky pointed out Pastor Bonga was wearing a blockbuster video shirt, obviously ex.staff uniform. Although it was very funny, it also reminded me of how incredibly grateful they all are for anything they are given. No striving for labels, or embarassment about the cheap labels they are wearing, but just an imense gratitude for anything and everything that they have. What a lesson we all have to learn there.
The people of Mozambique are so lovely, and so welcoming. I have many new friends here, and am so lucky to be here with these people. I am amazed at what I am doing, and coping with, and I know that it is because of the strngth that God is giving me. As I sat infront of my plate of food at lunchtime, fearful of what I may be about to eat and the consequenses of that, I was reminded of the verses that say "I can do anyhting through christ who strengthens me". And how true that is - I cannot comprhend how I could be doing this in my own strength, but with God at my side, and with all the prayers of you at home, this is turning into an amazing and peacefilled experience. Thank you so much fr your continuing prayers for me and all the team. and thank you , Lord, for bringing me to mozambique. Ate Logo (see you later! ) and cioa for today xx
Oh, Dez - yes, the songs went down a storm, though not sure they entirly understood!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Corrine,
Sounds like you are still having a wonderful time. I dont think you will ever experience anyting like it again.
I forgot to say last time, I have seen Stef every moring at school. She is buzzing with news for me and so, so proud of you - and quite rightly so. Keep up the good work, and bring your paint brush home - theres lots to be done here.
Take care.
Lots of love and wishes,
Kerry, Shaun Lucy and James

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thanks for keeping us in touch with what you are all doing.
Love & prayers Narina

Cozzie (not in Mozzie) said...

Thank you - will try and fit a paintbrush in the case Kerry, but may not have space once I've put the three babies in!! Thanks for your updates and for looking out for Stef - I'm so glad to know she is doing okay. see you soon !xx